Apple Salad or Apple Slaw… whatever you choose to call it it’s healthy and delicious!
Apples are in season and the farmers market is laden with fresh peppers, onions, mint, honey, goat cheese and all the things you need to make this delicious apple salad!
A Savoury Fruit Salad
This is my most requested salad by far! As a family favourite, we make this apple salad all year round but it is an especially great compliment to any summer bbq. Not to mention its pretty healthy too!
As with any apple recipe this salad pairs well with chicken or pork. It’s also great in place of coleslaw on a pulled pork bun.
Heres how to make the apple salad…
Apple Salad with Goat Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 4 large Apples julienned
- 1 Red Onion sliced thin
- 1 small Jalapeno julienned
- 1/4 Cup Mint Leaves roughly chopped
- 1 Cup crumbled soft Goat Cheese
- 1/4 Cup toasted almonds, pecans or honey glazed walnuts OPTIONAL
- salt and pepper
In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar and honey. Add a sprinkle of salt.
Julienne the apples and jalapeño. Cut the red onion into quarters and slice it as thin as you can get it. Give the mint leaves a rough chop.
Add the apples, jalapeño, onion, mint leaves and nuts to the bowl with the dressing and gently toss it.
Sprinkle the goat cheese crumbles over top. Add some freshly ground pepper. Toss again right before serving.
A julienne cut is when you cut your fruit into long thin strips also known as matchsticks or shoestrings. It’s a thrifty way to pretty up your apple salad. To find out how I quickly julienne my apples follow this short tutorial from Chef Rebecca Goldfarb.
- The nuts add a great crunch to the apple salad but by all means, if you are allergic, leave them out or replace them with roasted pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or a nut free half sweet granola for the crunch.
- The goat cheese balances out the kick of the jalapeño but if you are allergic to dairy any cheese just won’t do. Try soaking some extra firm tofu in salt water for a dairy free feta like alternative.
Turn the Apple Salad into a Meal
A beautiful balance of sweet and sharp, spicy and creamy this apple salad could be a lunch meal on its own with the addition any protein like cubed cooked chicken or almonds.
Got leftovers? Wrap the apple salad and your leftover bbq meat chopped up in a soft tortilla with some fresh spinach and honey mustard. Delish!