We’ve been through a decade of giving and receiving Valentines Day cards at school now and the ones my kids enjoy the most are the ones that come with candy. I know… who’d a thunk it, right? My favourites are always the ones that are creative and handmade. Here’s a super cute craft idea that is the best of both worlds. This “Bee Mine” Valentine craft is great to hand out in place of a card, to do at home or as a craft for a class Valentines Day party. Best of all it uses simple, inexpensive supplies that you probably already have on hand around the house and can be done in 5 easy steps.
- a medicine bottle with the labels washed off (If doing this for a classroom craft you will have to plan ahead in order to save up enough bottles)
- black pipe cleaners ~ 2 per bee.
- coffee filters
- white paint and a brush
- googly eyes
- a black permanent marker
Step 1: Get Prepared!
- Paint the top of the lid to cover up the orange writing. Set aside to dry.
- Cut the pipe cleaners in half, to about 6″ (15 cm) in length so you have four pieces per bee.
Step 2: Create the Body!
- Wrap the pipe cleaner around the end of the medicine bottle, twisting to secure it tightly. This will make the stripe and legs. If needed wrap tightly over top of a thin line of glue to keep it from slipping off.
- Kink the ends outward for the feet.
- Repeat around the centre and top. Line up the legs so they are all on the same side of the bottle.
- Wrap the fourth pipecleaner piece around the top but this time with the ends sticking out on the opposite side of the bottle to represent antennae.
Step 3: Create the Wings!
- Cut a heart shape out of the coffee filter.
- Write Bee Mine with black pen on one of the wings.
- Glue to the top of the body. (For double wings cut out two hearts, one larger than the other and glue on top of each other.)
Step 4: Create the Face!
- Glue the googley eyes to the lid.
- Draw on a smile and nose.
Step 5 : Fill with Treats!
- Fill with treats and close it up with the lid!
- Hand out to your favourite people!