Making a classic homemade ham bone broth is easy to do and will add a ton of flavour to your favourite soups and sauces.
Leave no food behind! You may think you are done with that ham once you’ve served your meal but there’s still more that can be done. Save yourself some pennies by making this classic ham bone broth at home rather than buying the stock from the store. There are many health benefits to bone broths and it’s cheaper too! This inexpensive ham bone broth recipe is a great alternative to store bought stock because it uses fewer preservatives. Plus you’ll feel great about yourself for being sustainable and using all parts of the ham.
It does take some time to make this ham bone broth, but it takes very little effort to have the pot simmering on the stove while you do something else.
A ham bone adds a nice smokey and salty flavour to the broth. Unsmoked pork bones can be used but you should roast them for an hour first to draw out the flavour.
Here’s how to make a classic ham bone broth
- Toss all the ingredients into a large pot and fill the pot with water until the vegetables are floating.
- Bring everything to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer the ham bone broth for about 2 hours. Your house will smell so fabulous the neighbours will come knocking on your door looking for an invitation to supper!
- Strain. Knick knack paddy whack toss the dog the bone! You are done with it now. Discard all the remaining scraps.
- Freeze or seal the ham bone broth in jars to preserve it until you are ready to use it in your favourite recipes.
Tips and Tricks for making your ham bone broth
- Include any scraps of ham that you do not want to save to eat later. Leave no food behind. Every extra bit adds flavour!
- Leave the skin on the onion as it will add a beautiful deep golden color to your stock. I like to cut an X into the top of the onion going about half way down through the onion to help it release its flavour.
- Even though it takes some time to simmer you needn’t stand there and watch the pot. Feel free to use this time to get some house cleaning done, read a book, whatever!
Ham Bone Broth
Leave no food behind! Save yourself some pennies by making this classic ham bone broth at home rather than buying the stock from the store. Homemade ham bone broth is a healthy and inexpensive alternative to store bought broth because it uses fewer preservatives. Plus you'll feel great about yourself for being sustainable and using all parts of the ham.
- 1 Ham Bone plus any extra scraps from the ham that you don't want to save to eat later
- 1 large Onion with the skin on
- 1 large Carrot
- 1 large Stalk of Celery
- 1 large Bay Leaf
- 1 Tbsp Peppercorns In a spice ball
- 2 large Cloves of Garlic
Cut the onion in half.
Toss all the ingredients into a large deep pot and add approximately 15 cups of water.
Bring everything to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Your house will smell great, I promise you!
Freeze or seal it in jars to preserve it until you are ready to use it in your favourite recipes.